Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Cakes, Starcrossed, Black Bear

Last week I sandwiched a weekend of Northwest cyclocross into a visit to my Dad's house at the Cascades' foothills. Farms, woods, mountains--some nice stuff out there--I miss it. At a loss for how to fill my time between bike rides and book reading, I baked some cakes. Why not? First Decadent Chocolate decorated with candied rose petals, next sour cream coffee cake with a layer of backyard apples and cinnamon in the middle.


Starcrossed was a grass crit and a spectacle: wicked fast racing surrounded by a big party. And there were waffles. I ate one while I watched the Elite men. Barry Wicks and Ryan Trebon on their tall orange bikes took off with Christian Huele, leaving the field far behind. Midway through the race Wicks attacked, sweeping through a u-turn, but he took it too hot and crashed! Off the other two went, but whaddayaknow, of course he caught them! That whole mess was hilarious and impressive--just what I like about cross.


It was nice to see some familiar faces, and make new acquaintances. I send my thanks to friends and family who came out to cheer!

While unloading the car after Sunday's race (see below) I looked across the yard to see a black bear eating apples off the tree! Only about 100ft from where I was, wow! so cool! Then he looked at me, took another bite of his apple and then dashed off into the woods.

I wrapped up my trip with a lovely ride on logging roads and trails with my step-brother. Pretty awesome being able to ride right out the door into the woods!

Now I'm back in the Northeast, buckling down for hard training after a humbling weekend. Are they faster out there or what?

2 comments:

  1. "Faster out there"? Oh, my, does one even wish to pick at that old wound of east vs. west? I'm not qualified to say, as I had a decade break from racing between the times I lived on opposite coasts. Either racers out west are faster, or I got older; I tend to believe the latter. Though when I do some pre-season (for WA) racing in February while visiting my parents in Florida, the crits don't seem nearly as hard. :-)

    Glad you made it out for StarCrossed. Sorry we didn't catch up with you after you got some warm clothing, didn't see you again after you finished.

    Mike Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for cheering for me. Sorry I didn't see you after. Thanks for the blurry picture too.

    ReplyDelete