Monday, October 29, 2007

The Inevitable Precipitates

Down comes the cold rain and gusts of wind ripping dead leaves from the shaking trees. Down comes the news that I will be laid off from Providence Bicycle in a week (every bike shop slows down in the winter, but it would have been nice if instead of assuring me that I'd have work all winter, they'd given me time to find another job). Regardless of unpleasant weather and unpleasant news, the weekend arrives, and I race.

More rain. It's spattering gently wakes me on Saturday. My first thought is, "good weather for 'cross." The rain lets up. I'm racing today, but not cyclocross; instead I head downtown for an alleycat--an opportunity to support hometown bike culture and win some schwag. And win I do! First girl, and second overall. (Pardon my bragging.) Fun. I take home a huge ugly bag--just what I need for grocery shopping and long race weekends away from home--and some gift certificates to the bookstore. The rain starts again; I go home to eat leftover lasagna and sip hot cider.

Sunday. I get to sleep in late and then take the commuter rail less that an hour to a really fun race, and the sunshine feels warm even though the air is chilly and blustery. So why am I grumpy and ambivalent about racing today?

I drag my heals all the way to the starting line, but once I'm racing I feel good. My technique is getting better and smoother. I'm riding fast, but not really an all-out race effort. Coming around the fourth time, I think I have one lap to go, until someone sprints past me to the line! That's what I get for being unfocused, but darn, the sprint is my favorite part and I missed it!

Props to Bobby and friends (and sponsors) for putting on a nice event on Saturday! Thanks Cambridge Bicycle pals for always being friendly. See everyone next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment