Monday, July 2, 2007

COX Classic Criterium

Every summer, racers and spectators crowd downtown Providence for the Cox Classic Criterium. It's the one road race I can ride to from my house in ten minutes. There's a lot of money to be won in the pro fields, so the racing is intense--it's a lively spectacle for the large crowd.

Mackenzie Dickie usually wins the women's race, so I was surprised not to see her on the preregistration roster. But she showed up. As I was waiting at the line for the race to start, I also noticed a woman in an old National Champion jersey, and my friend Kim leaned over to say, "look, that lady in the Ford kit is a former Olympian." Rebecca Wellons, New England's rising star, had a handful of NEBC teammates there to support her. The field was stacked. I felt out of my league.

I was worried about whether I could hang with the pack, so I just sat in at the back. Keeping up with the fastest race I'd ever been in thrilled me! When I passed cheering friends, I grinned through my suffering. I love having an audience, and I didn't want to fail them. Many friends and acquaintances had biked or walked downtown to watch the races. Hearing them cheer made me feel like I'd be a hometown hero even if I got dropped.

I didn't get dropped. Riding with a field of such competent women, I learned a lot. Everyone was so smooth! On the last lap I followed Kim, on the tail of Rebecca Wellons, into 12th place (taking Kim and one other lady just at the line). Mackenzie won, after taking a few primes too.

I was so excited! This was a really fun race.

Brian C. took some nice pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment