Monday, June 4, 2007

Training my Wheels

Gloucester's U.S.G.P. last fall was my first cyclocross race--an my first off-road riding experience in my adult life. My age was still in the single-digits the last time I rode over grass and dirt (in my back yard). The fearlessness [foolishness?] that competition inspires carries me across terrain I have no idea how to handle. But when my judgment isn't blurred by adrenaline, I'm a wimp. I am afraid to ride over a twig. I'd like to get over that, so last Friday Lynn, who is a former mountain bike racer, led me through the trails of Big River. There's not much a 'cross bike couldn't handle in there, but it's more technical than any cyclocross course. She had to wait for me often while I ran through sections I was too timid to ride, but I had a blast! My learning curve was steeper than the run-up at the North Hampton Verge race. After only an hour I was experiencing vastly improved confidence. Fresh scrapes an bruises on my legs are reminding me of the relearned lesson that crashing isn't really so painful--even to the ego. I can't wait to ride in the woods again!

No comments:

Post a Comment