Thursday, November 8, 2007

Dollar Primes, New Skinsuits, Poor Planning

Friday night. With a heavy pink bag full of racing gear (team kit, embrocation, lipstick etc.) strapped to my back, I ride to the bus terminal. While waiting, I take advantage of the photo booth. The bus takes me to Boston's South Station, I ride to Craig's house, wait hours for everybody to get ready, then carpool with the Cambridge Bike guys to Connecticut--to my teammate Dan's mom's house. She lives only minutes from Saturday's Chainbiter race course.

Saturday. Dollar Primes. Cold wind and rain: it feels like 'cross should! I have fun. Making some mistakes in the first lap puts me way back, but I start passing people, picking them off. Then I slip in a corner and do a superman--mud all over my front. Oh well. The Ghostship guys are handing out dollar primes on the back stretch and I grab one--two, three--as I claw my way back up a few places in the remaining laps. I finish cheerfully in the back.

After recovering with grilled cheese and beer, we cut, sew, serge and embroider with Dan's mom. By Sunday morning, Dan and I have new kits!

Sunday. New Skinsuits. Eager as I am to show off the gold embroidery on my new skinsuit, I nonetheless wake up on the wrong side of the bed: I hate everything. Still, I race, and when I see my friends at the top of the run up holding a giant neon-pink "Go Hannah!" sign at the top of the run up--and I'm passing people--my attitude makes a 180. I love 'cross. I make my strongest finish yet at a UCI race (an unimpressive but satisfying 19th).

Poor Planning. I thought Dan had organized a ride home, but after the last race, I don't see anyone from Providence still around. Uh-oh. Adam Sullivan is my knight in shining armor--uhhh...the guy with a car headed to Rhode Island--who rescues me from having to bike back from North Hampton (or get a ride to Boston and take the train home in the morning). All I want to do is go home and eat some ice cream and sleep in my own bed, and I get to.

Until next weekend,
-H

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the plug! Ghostship is going to be at the Cheshire Cross race in CT this Sat. If you're going to be out this way, stop by our table and say hello! Good luck with your races!

    ReplyDelete