Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Nostalgia; a long ride in the rain, and the same old story.

Nostos: homecoming. Algos: pain. Nostalgia: the pain of coming home.

On the East Coast, where I live, rain falls in heavy drops for a few hours at a time. On the West Coast, where I grew up, the overcast sky seems to spatter almost constantly. But people don't use umbrellas, because the rain won't soak, just dampen them. There is a joke about Dublin,"It only rains twice a week: once for three days, and once for four days." The same could be said of my hometown at the base of the Cascades mountain range.

I spent four hours today riding in spitting rain showers. This uncharactaristic weather brought me home–to running in soggy fields and cycling muddy gravel roads–to always being wet. If I still lived there, most days would be like this. In spite of foggy glasses and puddles in my shoes (all athletes must have at least a touch of masochism) I was enjoying my ride.

Out two hours and near nothing but trees and water, I remembered that my seat bag was on another bike; I had nothing with me to fix a flat. I hoped for good luck.

I got a flat. A doozy. I felt really stupid.

But by that time I was passing through a town with a bike shop. I called my GPS, by which I mean my roommate who is never far from the internet, and she gave me the shop's address and hours, and walking directions. It was less than a mile. I bought a tube, did the change with numb wet hands, and was on my way home–lucky after all.

2 comments:

  1. On my ride on Saturday (50 miles- longest thus far in 2008)I ran across a poor soul walking his bike with a rear flat. I asked if he had a tube. He looked confused. He had a pump on his frame. After he asked me if I always carry a tube, I realized that handing it over might not take care of the situation. I spent 1 minutes fixing his flat, made sure he watched and let him finish inflating with his rear mounted. I figured I have a double dose of good karma headed my way--- not only did I give a tube to a person in need, but I taught him how to fix his next one. I left him with the stern words "Always carry a tube."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer, nothing worse than that. Except maybe riding with bolt on wheels, and having everything but a wrench.. not that I'd know anything about that.

    ReplyDelete