Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lantern Rouge

I finished Fitchburg at the back of the train, swinging my red lantern. It was my first stage race--four consecutive days of challenging courses--and my first time in a field stacked with top-tier competitors from around the country. I finished.

I did not race well, stylishly, or competitively. I stayed with the field as long as I could each day, and then when I gave up on myself and got dropped, I completed the race to make the time cut and be allowed to race the next day. But I hope that finishing this time is a step towards competing next time, or the time after. I may never drive the engine of a high speed train, but I'd like to move up to a more comfortable car.

4 comments:

  1. Don't feel too bad... you can't be fast all the time, and 'cross season is just around the corner. You can go faster than schmucks like me and feel better in like two months time! What's better than that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was fast at F-burg and tougher than a lot of pros who bagged it. SuperH will be a much better rider coming out of it.

    The question is now. Road or 'cross? Few can be good at both. A result at F-burg like this shows a lot of road promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hannah! I meant to say hi when I saw you at the crit in Fitchburg, but didn't get a chance. Good job finishing!


    (This is Mike Arena, by the way. We met briefly a while back in Gainesville.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're absolutely right - "in order to finish first, you must first finish." You hung in there, which is more than a lot of people could do. And you're stronger for it. You'll see next year.

    ReplyDelete